From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:59:35
1 On 11/28/05, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 11/28/05, Alexander Kirillov <nevis2us@××××××××.su> wrote:
3 > > >>The local resolver lib will use either /etc/hosts file or dns queries in
4 > > >>the order defined in your /etc/host.conf
5 > > >
6 > > > You mean /etc/nsswitch.conf?
7 > >
8 > > I probably do. Is /etc/host.conf still of any use?
9 >
10 > Actually, I'm not sure. I've always edited nsswitch.conf to get it to
11 > do what I want, with good results.
12 >
13 > I see with strace that when I ping <somehost>, both nsswitch.conf and
14 > host.conf are opened. The man pages don't reveal anything about their
15 > relationship, so I guess I'll have to take a look at the glibc sources
16 > tonight.
17
18 As close as I can tell from reading the code (which is to say, I am
19 making an only slightly educated guess), the 'order' keyword in
20 host.conf is pretty much ignored by current glibc versions. Host.conf
21 is only consulted by the libnss_files.so module, and then only for the
22 'multi' option. The order in nsswitch.conf is authoritative.
23
24 This seems to be confirmed by a few "strace ping" attempts with
25 various configurations.
26
27 -Richard
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list