From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] eth0 not up when init script returns?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:45:27
1 I just noticed a strange problem on our server that's just been switched
2 to Gentoo:
3 It's running dhcpd, which init starts right after bringing up the
4 network interface. But dhcpd quits, complaining it couldn't listen on
5 eth0 because it had address 0.0.0.0. So it seems the interface isn't
6 fully up yet when the init script returns---probably because the
7 Broadcom Tigon driver seems to be on the slow side when changing
8 parameters, while the CPU is plenty fast. I've now tried to fix it with
9 a postup() function that simply does a "sleep 3", but that's pretty
10 hacky IMHO. Isn't thatere a way to do it properly? I think the script
11 should ensure its jobs are finished before it returns in any case.
12
13 cheers!
14 Matthias
17 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
18 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665