From: Hani Duwaik <kiawud@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 not up when init script returns?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 17:30:06
1 On 5/4/06, Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I just noticed a strange problem on our server that's just been switched
4 > to Gentoo:
5 > It's running dhcpd, which init starts right after bringing up the
6 > network interface. But dhcpd quits, complaining it couldn't listen on
7 > eth0 because it had address 0.0.0.0. So it seems the interface isn't
8 > fully up yet when the init script returns---probably because the
9 > Broadcom Tigon driver seems to be on the slow side when changing
10 > parameters, while the CPU is plenty fast. I've now tried to fix it with
11 > a postup() function that simply does a "sleep 3", but that's pretty
12 > hacky IMHO. Isn't thatere a way to do it properly? I think the script
13 > should ensure its jobs are finished before it returns in any case.
16 Have you looked through the '/etc/conf.d/net.example' file? I'm not too
17 familiar with DHCP, but the net.example file has this entry:
18
19 ============================================================
20
21 # For passing custom options to dhcpcd use something like the following.
22 This
23
24 # example reduces the timeout for retrieving an address from 60 seconds (the
25
26 # default) to 10 seconds.
27
28 #dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10"
30
31 Not sure if it will help, but maybe increasing the wait time might work.
32
33 -Hani
34 --
35 "If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will
36 become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."