From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdev: sound is only working some of the time.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:19:48
1 Hello, Pandu.
2
3 On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 07:35:14AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Mar 21, 2012 5:36 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > Hi, all.
7
8 > > Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
9 > > (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
10 > > when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
11 > > www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.
12
13 > > Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
14 > > in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
15 > > following as device nodes:
16
17 > > adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.
18
19 > > Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
20 > > subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
21 > > with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).
22
23 > > Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!
26 > That's indicative that it's the kernel doing the populating (that is,
27 > everything belongs to root:root).
28
29 No, it was just that one device belonging to root:root. This is
30 mysterious indeed.
31
32 > That means, mdev hasn't got the chance to 'restructure' the /dev
33 > directory (that is, rename and/or move and/or chown devices).
34
35 > Does 'mdev -s' exist in your /sbin/linuxrc? Can you post your linuxrc
36 > here?
37
38 mdev -s wasn't in my /sbin/linuxrc. It is now. It hasn't made any
39 difference to that wayward device.
40
41 As I said to Walt, I've solved the problem by turfing out pulseaudio.
42
43 > Rgds,
46 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).