From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} video monitoring
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:46:44
1 >> I've been using motion along with USB cameras for a while. I need to
2 >> expand my monitoring capacity and I'm wondering if I should consider
3 >> changing software or hardware. motion seems fairly dead but is
4 >> stable. I'm reading conflicting info about the current status of
5 >> zoneminder. Is anyone using IP cams?
8 > Hello Grant,
9 >
10 > Some years ago, the slickest webserver plus zoneminder setup was this
11 >
12 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cherokee/users/2450
13 >
14 > cherokee + zoneminder + php
17 > Another solution is to get some pci cards that take a coax input
18 > from a coax cable (RG/59 or RG6 for distance) directly into the PC.
19 > There you can convert the streaming video into h.264 and move it
20 > around the ethernet. Encoder (coax to h.264) pci cards use to abound
21 > such as Qsee, Avermedia etc etc.
22 >
23 > You can also get embedded boards from TI that include the DaVinci
24 > package which take in coax and convert it to H.264.
25 >
26 > I use to get the best information about the key chips reading the
27 > linux
28 > kernel driver documentation found in the old drivers. Many of
29 > the drivers (most?) have been unified and the in-driver
30 > documents therein
31 > will be mostly useless, so old 2.4 and 2.6 drivers for specific
32 > chipsets is the best source, if you really want to dig into
33 > video over IP. Most currently manufactured IP cams go to great links
34 > to make their hardware a "black box" on what they are doing
35 > to output the H.264. [2]
36 >
37 > Furthermore, you have to delve in the "container" versus the packets
38 > when you find incompatibilities. Many of the advanced ethernet
39 > sniffing software packages have h.264 filters build in [1]. It's all
40 > H.264, just a lot of software gymnastics to frustrate folks from
41 > rolling their own video solution.
42 >
43 > If I were to get serious about video/IP, I'd go with
44 > VP8 (google's standard)
45 > and find a codec (opensource) that could be put on a micro
46 > processor board; pandaboard? [3]. Googling around and I'm
47 > sure you can find
48 > something. [4]
51 > usb video sucks, once you try to "scale up" for any sort of
52 > serious video
53 > surveillance system; imho.
54 >
55 > hth,
56 > James
57 >
58 > [1] http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/h/h264.html
59 >
60 > [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8
61 >
62 > [3]
63 > https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/
64 > Multimedia/Specs/1105/OptimizeVp8Decoding
65 >
66 > [4] http://www.webmproject.org/tools/
67
68 After reading everyone's responses, I do think I'll stick with USB
69 cams and motion. Can anyone recommend a good USB cam for indoor use
70 with a nice wide angle lens and mounting threads? It doesn't need to
71 be cheap.
72
73 - Grant