From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 12:28:42
1 On 8/17/2017 6:05 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >> On 17 Aug 2017, at 12:40, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I use AWS instances extensively at work and they have been incredibly reliable and after initially learning the tools they're very convenient to manage (IMNHO of course.)
5 >>
6 >> I've used the AWS free tier EC2 to set up a Gentoo instance using a public AMI to base it on. It worked OK and I'm certain I could have figured out how to set it up from scratch too.
7 >>
8 >> The free tier is a micro instance which may or may not suit your purposes. It's probably fine for a mail server and low traffic web server.
9 > Many thanks, that's very helpful.
10 >
11 > So AWS instances work like any other VM? I can ssh into them, install packages on them and so on?
12 >
13 > You mentioned the AWS free tier - if I use one of those, can I be sure that it won't exceed the usage limits without billing me?
14 >
15 > Linode were mentioned by a couple of people in the previous thread, too. They seem like the logical choice, but if I can use AWS for free, that would be better. ;)
16 >
17 > Stroller.
21 Yes, you can ssh in to them as usual (assuming you have allowed it in
22 your security group/firewall of course.)
23
24 And install packages as well. They're really just regular VM guests
25 once so whatever you're used to with Gentoo (or other OS) is what you'll
26 mostly get .
27
28 You'll need to look into the free tier to be sure. You can always set
29 alerts to email you if you're getting close to getting charged.
30
31 I'm not sure how much you can run with the free tier. I wasn't really
32 interested (and obviously, at work it's not applicable.) I'm probably
33 using the wrong terminology calling it a "tier." I think if you go over
34 for some reason then it's just additional charges on top, not a bump
35 into a more expensive "tier" really.
36
37 Also, the micro instances (which is all I could run without charge) have
38 cpu throttled (and I believe the network as well, but certainly
39 doublecheck that.)
40
41 Todd