From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 22:05:41
1 > On 17 Aug 2017, at 12:40, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > I use AWS instances extensively at work and they have been incredibly reliable and after initially learning the tools they're very convenient to manage (IMNHO of course.)
4 >
5 > I've used the AWS free tier EC2 to set up a Gentoo instance using a public AMI to base it on. It worked OK and I'm certain I could have figured out how to set it up from scratch too.
6 >
7 > The free tier is a micro instance which may or may not suit your purposes. It's probably fine for a mail server and low traffic web server.
8
9 Many thanks, that's very helpful.
10
11 So AWS instances work like any other VM? I can ssh into them, install packages on them and so on?
12
13 You mentioned the AWS free tier - if I use one of those, can I be sure that it won't exceed the usage limits without billing me?
14
15 Linode were mentioned by a couple of people in the previous thread, too. They seem like the logical choice, but if I can use AWS for free, that would be better. ;)
16
17 Stroller.