From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:40:33
1 On 8/16/2017 6:00 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >> On 26 Mar 2017, at 03:57, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In the next few weeks I need to move my email server (a very old Gentoo installation) from the closet in my home, into the cloud so that I can go travelling and access my mail from anywhere.
5 > A few months ago I asked for hosting recommendations, and was surprised not to receive any mention of Amazon's cloud services.
6 >
7 > I thought reason might be that Amazon's cloud servers are different from a regular VM, but today saw someone on the Postfix list state that they're running it on an AWS instance.
8 >
9 > Has anyone tried running Gentoo on AWS or did this go unmentioned because it's impossible?
10 >
11 > Stroller.
15 I use AWS instances extensively at work and they have been incredibly
16 reliable and after initially learning the tools they're very convenient
17 to manage (IMNHO of course.)
18
19 I've used the AWS free tier EC2 to set up a Gentoo instance using a
20 public AMI to base it on. It worked OK and I'm certain I could have
21 figured out how to set it up from scratch too.
22
23 The free tier is a micro instance which may or may not suit your
24 purposes. It's probably fine for a mail server and low traffic web server.
25
26 If you do set up a mail server in AWS you need to contact support to get
27 them to remove throttling they automatically have in place for mail
28 (port 25.) It wasn't a hassle to do, I just asked and they quickly
29 removed the throttling.
30
31 However, I decided to go with a Linode instance instead, mostly due to
32 pricing.
33
34 Once I wanted multiple CPU cores and more memory I couldn't justify the
35 AWS cost to myself for a personal machine.
36
37 Linode has been incredibly reliable for me as well and I run Gentoo
38 there also.
39
40 Todd