From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3D Acceleration With Laptop - Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP -- SOLVED!!!
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:47:31
1 On 07/03/07 06:17 Drew Tomlinson said the following:
2
3 > I have a laptop with ATI integrated graphics. lspci shows the
4 > graphics card as:
5 >
6 > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon
7 > Xpress 1100 IGP]
8 >
9 > I have been unsuccessful in getting X configured to work with this
10 > card with dri enabled. I followed the guides at:
11 >
12 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml
15 >
16 > and I've also Googled for a week with no success. With the x11
17 > drivers installed, I get this error message when starting X:
18 >
19 > (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
20 >
21 > I've emerged ati-drivers and set make.conf to include the fglrx driver
22 > as suggested in the ATI guide. However when loading the fglrx.ko
23 > module, I get an error about "...taints the kernel". Thus I suspect I
24 > have some option set in my kernel that conflicts with the fglrx module?
25 >
26 > I'm at a loss. Can some kind soul please point me in the right
27 > direction toward the steps needed to get 3D acceleration on my
28 > laptop? Should I be using x11 or ATI drivers? And if ATI drivers,
29 > any idea what is might be conflicting in my kernel?
32 Seems the module was never loading due to a conflict because DRI was
33 compiled into the kernel. I had read that I needed to disable that
34 option which I did and recompiled the kernel (over and over again).
35 However the one step I missed was copying the newly compiled kernel from
36 the source directory to the /boot directory.
37
38 Oh the answers are always so simple... It's finding them that's tough. :)
39
40 Drew
44 Be a Great Magician!
45 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse