From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preserved-rebuild will not run at all
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:58:42
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:10 on Sunday 12 December 2010,
4 > covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:35 on Sunday 12 December 2010,
8 > > >
9 > > > covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
10 > > > > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > > > > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
12 > > > > > > I have a fair number of preserved-libs, but it will not run at all
13 > > > > > > and gives the rather strange message:
14 > > > > > > Calculating dependencies... done!
15 > > > > > >
16 > > > > > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-tex/mplib:0".
17 > > > > > > (dependency required by "@preserved-rebuild")
18 > > > > > >
19 > > > > > > Now I have no such package and an eix seems to indicate that there
20 > > > > > > is no such, so how do I get this rebuild going again?
21 > > > > > >
22 > > > > > > Thanks in advance for all your help.
23 > > > > > >
24 > > > > > > --
25 > > > > > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question
26 > > > > > > is: How do
27 > > > > > > you spend it?
28 > > > > > >
29 > > > > > > John Covici
30 > > > > > > covici@××××××××××.com
31 > > > > >
32 > > > > > Probably searching for packages that depend on mplib, (equery) then
33 > > > > > emerge -C them (it's what I'd probably do - depends...) then
34 > > > > > re-emerge them if you still use them? Note that I'd go back to
35 > > > > > finding what members of the world file need all this stuff and
36 > > > > > emerge that with -DuN, maybe even doing a -depclean after the emerge
37 > > > > > -C. It's all a guess though.
38 > > > > >
39 > > > > > Seems like this sort of thing happens when a package gets dumped in
40 > > > > > an upgrade but somehow the ebuilds or package manager don't get
41 > > > > > updated or just don't work perfectly.
42 > > > > >
43 > > > > > Again, all a guess but I can usually figure it out looking at equery
44 > > > > > output, etc.
45 > > > >
46 > > > > Well, there was a package, but no ebuild, so I deleted the package and
47 > > > > its going, but someone broke something. I wish you could not delete an
48 > > > > ebuild if you have the package, or it would put it somewhere to prevent
49 > > > > this kind of thing.
50 > > >
51 > > > That will make portage store gigantic numbers of old and since upgraded
52 > > > versions just in case maybe you might need it perhaps. Sounds like a lot
53 > > > of pain for no gain. Sounds like exactly the kind of thing any decent
54 > > > dev will reject.
55 > > >
56 > > > Besides, you can always get the old ebuild back from the Attic, or you
57 > > > could copy it somewhere safe from /var/db/pkg/ before you delete it.
58 > > >
59 > > > Mark has the correct solution. mplib is not needed and was deleted.
60 > > > However, it's in preserved-rebuild as being used by something. In all
61 > > > likelyhood that something uses mplib purely optionally and you should
62 > > > just rebuild that something. You provided no output so no-one here knows
63 > > > how to fix your problem.
64 > >
65 > > There was no output, but what I sent and the only thing depended on
66 > > mplib was the package with no ebuild, so I guess its fixed. But
67 > > something seems wrong here that you should have a package and the ebuild
68 > > would go away like that. I am not sure of the best solution.
69 >
70 > But you *don't* have the package, or it didn't uninstall cleanly. It's not in
71 > the tree, it's not in eix, so it no longer exists. There would have been at
72 > least 30 days notice in $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask that it was going away,
73 > and emerge gives output that there is a package present without an ebuild.
74 >
75 > Or maybe you deleted the ebuild yourself out of a local overlay.
76 >
77 > There's lots of ways this can happen. preserved-rebuild tracks that some part
78 > of mplib is bieng used somehow, and it told you. Now you as the human being
79 > get to decide how to proceed because the software cannot decide for you.
80 >
81 > The software is working as designed. What else did you expect it to do?
82 >
83 > One thing that is NOT a solution is to not delete the ebuild. That results in
84 > your tree being out of sync with upstream. That is not allowed.
85 I agree that the tree should be in sync, but how come I was able to
86 unmerge the package? It must keep the information somewhere -- and it
87 didn't tell me anything about having packages with no ebuilds -- that
88 would have been OK. Maybe that is all I would need, but it didn't
89 happen.
92 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
93 How do
94 you spend it?
95
96 John Covici