From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preserved-rebuild will not run at all
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:07:23
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:56 on Monday 13 December 2010,
2 covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
3
4 > > One thing that is NOT a solution is to not delete the ebuild. That
5 > > results in your tree being out of sync with upstream. That is not
6 > > allowed.
7 >
8 > I agree that the tree should be in sync, but how come I was able to
9 > unmerge the package? It must keep the information somewhere -- and it
10 > didn't tell me anything about having packages with no ebuilds -- that
11 > would have been OK. Maybe that is all I would need, but it didn't
12 > happen.
13
14 Because portage noted what files it installed and an unmerge consists only of
15 deleting everything in the list.
16
17 You do not require an ebuild to unmerge something - that would lead to the
18 undesirable situation of needing to delete something that cannot be deleted
19
20 As for no output, maybe you just forgot the -v switch. Or maybe you mail
21 everything to yourself as an elog and deleted it. I dunno.
22
23 Portage did nothing wrong andyou are getting worked up about nothing. There is
24 nothing to be concerned about, nothing to change, nothign to be worried about.
25 All of this is perfectly normal and just one of those things that happens that
26 you need to deal with.
27
28 Like kids. They are not supposed to spill milk on the floor. But they do.
29 So dad goes and fetches a mop. End of story.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com