From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preserved-rebuild will not run at all
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:01:35
1 On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:06:36 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I agree that the tree should be in sync, but how come I was able to
4 > > unmerge the package? It must keep the information somewhere -- and it
5 > > didn't tell me anything about having packages with no ebuilds -- that
6 > > would have been OK. Maybe that is all I would need, but it didn't
7 > > happen.
8 >
9 > Because portage noted what files it installed and an unmerge consists
10 > only of deleting everything in the list.
11 >
12 > You do not require an ebuild to unmerge something - that would lead to
13 > the undesirable situation of needing to delete something that cannot be
14 > deleted
15
16 Sometimes you do, because some ebuilds contain prerm and postrm functions
17 to be executed. But it's not a problem because portage uses the copy of
18 the ebuild in /var/db/pkg. This not only guards against removal of the
19 ebuild but any changes to it that would require different actions,
20 portage always uses exactly the same ebuild to remove a package that it
21 did to install it.
22
23 But you know that didn't you and I guess you were referring to the
24 presence of an ebuild in the tree. All that matters when unmerging is the
25 contents of /var/db/pkg.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Microsoft is to Software as McDonalds is to Cuisine