From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:09:08
1 v_2e@×××.net wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:24:42 -0400
5 > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
8 >> However, I'm quite willing to look at AMD or consider waiting a bit
9 >> till something newer from Intel reaches the regular market.
10 > Speaking of AMD processors, I remember one of my friends told that
11 > their A10-series a good. I didn't study any details of it, but if you
12 > are interested, you can check them out as well.
13 >
14 > Regards, Vladimir ----- <v_2e@×××.net>
15
16 I built my rig with a AMD CPU and I like it. I prefer AMD since it has
17 a lot of bang for less bucks. Mine is this one:
18
19 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
20
21 I went from 12 to 14 hours building LOo on my older AMD 2500+ single
22 core to about a hour or so on my new rig.
23
24 One thing I have learned over the years when money is tight. Always buy
25 parts that are about 2 to 3 notches below the latest release. My
26 current CPU is 3.2Ghz which is about two notches below the fastest they
27 had at the time. I think the fastest was 3.4Ghz or something. I saved
28 a lot of money but most likely wouldn't be able to see the difference in
29 speed. You can do the same for mobos and such too.
30
31 Also, with Linux, older hardware has more stable drivers than newer
32 stuff. If you buy a brand new mobo with all new chipsets, you can run
33 into stability issues until the drivers get sorted out. If you buy one
34 that has been out a year or so, you have a MUCH better chance of getting
35 good stable drivers.
36
37 As always, your mileage may vary.
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!