From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:21:25
1 Am 20.07.2012 14:06, schrieb Dale:
2 >
3 > v_2e@×××.net wrote:
4 >> Hello!
5 >>
6 >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:24:42 -0400
7 >> Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
10 >>> However, I'm quite willing to look at AMD or consider waiting a bit
11 >>> till something newer from Intel reaches the regular market.
12 >> Speaking of AMD processors, I remember one of my friends told that
13 >> their A10-series a good. I didn't study any details of it, but if you
14 >> are interested, you can check them out as well.
15 >>
16 >> Regards, Vladimir ----- <v_2e@×××.net>
17 >
18 > I built my rig with a AMD CPU and I like it. I prefer AMD since it has
19 > a lot of bang for less bucks. Mine is this one:
20 >
21 > AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
22 >
23 > I went from 12 to 14 hours building LOo on my older AMD 2500+ single
24 > core to about a hour or so on my new rig.
25 >
26 > One thing I have learned over the years when money is tight. Always buy
27 > parts that are about 2 to 3 notches below the latest release. My
28 > current CPU is 3.2Ghz which is about two notches below the fastest they
29 > had at the time. I think the fastest was 3.4Ghz or something. I saved
30 > a lot of money but most likely wouldn't be able to see the difference in
31 > speed. You can do the same for mobos and such too.
32 >
33 > Also, with Linux, older hardware has more stable drivers than newer
34 > stuff. If you buy a brand new mobo with all new chipsets, you can run
35 > into stability issues until the drivers get sorted out. If you buy one
36 > that has been out a year or so, you have a MUCH better chance of getting
37 > good stable drivers.
38 >
39 > As always, your mileage may vary.
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
46 +1 for AMD, especially if you consider integrated GPUs. If you want to
47 be sure you get a good deal, look for FLOPS per Dollar charts or similar
48 benchmarks. For example this [1].
49
50 [1] http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html
51