From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clone a running gentoo machine onto another machine
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:45:53
1 On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:48:54 -0400, Hal Martin wrote:
3 >
4 > > You cannot use tar unless you create an exclude file, as it will copy
5 > > the contents of /dev and /sys, which means the entire contents of RAM,
6 > > and anything that is currently being generated by your devices will be
7 > > copied as well.
8 > >
9 > > Personally, I would use either tar or rsync to do this, however, in
10 > > saying that, I have never actually done this with a live system. This is
11 > > the tar command I use for copying inactive systems, and it works quite
12 > > well.
13 > >
14 > > (cd /mnt/source; tar cfpl - .) | (cd /mnt/dest; tar xfp -)
15 > >
16 > > I assume you could just generate an exclude file, and include that in
17 > > the first command
18 >
19 > You don't need an exclude file to avoid /dev and /sys because they are on
20 > separate filesystems, so your use of -l takes care of this.
21 >
22 > Rsync may work, or it may complain that files have changed between
23 > building the list and copying them and you'd need to use -x to do the
24 > same as -l with tar. Either way, shut down as many services as possible
25 > during the copy, particularly anything that uses databases.
28 > --
29 > Neil Bothwick
30 >
31 > If you got the words it does not mean you got the knowledge.
34 Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read that if you don't copy
35 the files in /dev, udev won't mount properly on the machine you're
36 cloning to and all hell will break lose. Also, iirc, I believe I
37 tarred a running machine (including /dev, excluding /sys) and the
38 clone was successful.
39
40 Any thoughts?
43 Dan Cowsill