From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clone a running gentoo machine onto another machine
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:55:10
1 > Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read that if you don't copy
2 > the files in /dev, udev won't mount properly on the machine you're
3 > cloning to and all hell will break lose. Also, iirc, I believe I
4 > tarred a running machine (including /dev, excluding /sys) and the
5 > clone was successful.
6 >
7 > Any thoughts?
8
9 One other way: mirror the boot/root/install devices
10 (maybe a single partition). You can make, sync,
11 and drop the mirror, install grub on the new mbr
12 and have a clone of the system (basically you'd
13 be in the same situaiton as if the primary drive
14 of a mirrored setup croaked).
17 Steven Lembark +1 888 359 3508
18 Workhorse Computing 85-09 90th St
19 lembark@×××××××.com Woodhaven, NY 11421