From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tif libraries being ignored
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:15:19
1 Ted Miller wrote:
2 > I am new to Gentoo (not new to Linux), and am trying to do a Gentoo
3 > install to handle my photo needs. I have emerged cinepaint, gimp,
4 > hugin, KPhotoAlbum, Krita and ufraw (for starters).
5 >
6 > Things work pretty well EXCEPT that the KDE based applications cannot
7 > handle *.tif files. I have the media-libs/tiff package emerged, but
8 > for some reason the KDE subsystem does not seem to be using it.
9 >
10 > What doesn't even list .tif files as graphics files:
11 > KView
12 >
13 > What doesn't work with .tif files:
14 > krita preview in File>Open dialog
15 > KPhotoAlbum does not show .tif files
16 > gimp lists the files, but puts up an error message when it attempts to
17 > open the file
18 > KView
19 >
20 > What does work with .tif files:
21 > Krita will open them (just not preview them)
22 > hugin
23 > cinepaint (not KDE based)
26 > If I tell konqueror to open a .tif file with KView, the KView status
27 > bar says "Unknown image format: /"...."/A00001658.1.tif"
28 >
29 > If I tell konqueror to open a .tif file with GIMP, I get two GIMP
30 > Messages:
31 > PDB calling error: Procedure 'file-tiff-load' not found.
32 > Opening '/.../A00001658.1.tif' failed: raw image plug-in could not
33 > open image
34 >
35 > I have run
36 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
37 > revdep-rebuild
38 > with no improvement
39 >
40 > Any insight into what I need to do to get this working will be greatly
41 > appreciated. Please be explicit (or include links to documentation)
42 > if I have to do anything unusual, but I will be glad to send any
43 > needed information to help you diagnose my problem.
44 >
45 > Ted Miller
46 > Indiana, USA
51 I would assume you have tiff in your USE line in make.conf?
52
53 root@smoker / # euse -i tiff
54 global use flags (searching: tiff)
55 ************************************************************
56 [+ CD ] tiff - Adds support for the TIFF image format
57
58 local use flags (searching: tiff)
59 ************************************************************
60 [+ CD ] tiff (media-tv/mythtv):
61 Add support for tiff loading and rendering which is only used by
62 media-plugins/mythgallery
63
64 root@smoker / #
65
66 Just in case you missed that little detail. ;-)
67
68 Dale
69