From: Julian Simioni <julian.simioni@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk usage during emerge
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:24:21
1 On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Julian Simioni
2 <julian.simioni@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hello list
6 >>
7 >> It came to my attention that during (after) an emerge run, df reports
8 >> considerably less space available on my / than before the emerge (everything
9 >> except /home sits on the root partition). I was wondering how this comes to
10 >> be, since I have /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
11 >>
12 >> I am in the middle of a KDE upgrade (4.8.0→4.8.1) right now and before I
13 >> started, I downloaded all distfiles and then looked at df /, it showed 1022
14 >> blocks, hence about 1 GB of free disk space. I am at package 115 out of 174
15 >> right now, and df shows a mere 389k blocks remaining.
16 >>
17 >> Also before I began the emerge run, I started 'ncdu -x /' which scans all dirs
18 >> on the / partition and then I can browse through my FS hieararchy, showing the
19 >> disk usage of every directory. Now I ran the same ncdu command again in
20 >> another screen, so I can compare it with the first one.
21 >>
22 >> The folders themselves have 0.1 to 0.2 GB difference between their old and new
23 >> state, and ncdu's bottom bar even shows the same values for both apparent and
24 >> real total disk usage (rounded to 0.1 GB). So what am I missing here? I
25 >> searched df's man page for something about apparent sizes/sparse files, but
26 >> then again, why would portage create such files in the first place?
27 >>
28 >> Do you have any thoughts that might help me understand what I'm seeing?
29 >> --
30 >> Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
31 >> I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
32 >>
33 >> You will find everything in an online database.
34 >> Just not what you are looking for.
35 >
36 > Unless you have it mounted on tmpfs for increased compilation speed as
37 > many others do, /var/tmp/portage can easily grow to several hundred
38 > megabytes as packages are compiled. Once the compilation finishes
39 > successfully, it will be cleaned up, so the contents are constantly
40 > changing during an emerge, and it may not be easy to track down after
41 > the fact.
42 And only after hitting send to I register the line where you mention
43 that you do in fact use tmpfs. doh!