From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:54:38
1 Am Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 06:09:13PM +0000 schrieb Laurence Perkins:
2
3 > > I actually developed a tool for that. It creates and checks md5
4 > > checksums recursively and *per directory*. Whenever I copy stuff from
5 > > somewhere, like a music album, I do an immediate md5 run on that
6 > > directory. And when I later copy that stuff around, I simply run the
7 > > tool again on the copy (after the FS cache was flushed, for example by
8 > > unmounting and remounting) to see whether the checksums are still valid.
9 > >
10 > There's also app-crypt/md5deep
11 >
12 > Does a number of hashes, is threaded, has options for piecewise hashing and a matching mode for using the hashes to find duplicates. Also a number of input and output filters for those cases where you don't want to hash everything.
13
14 I knew about md5deep when I started with my own tool (as can be read in the
15 readme ;-) ). But md5deep used one single md5 file at a tree’s root, whereas
16 I wanted one file per directory in a tree. The reason being that I wanted to
17 be able to copy individual directories and still check their hashes without
18 editing checksum files.
21 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
22 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
23
24 If you were born feet-first, then, for a short moment,
25 you wore your mother as a hat.