From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:09:30
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
3 > Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 10:39 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
8 > I actually developed a tool for that. It creates and checks md5 checksums recursively and *per directory*. Whenever I copy stuff from somewhere, like a music album, I do an immediate md5 run on that directory. And when I later copy that stuff around, I simply run the tool again on the copy (after the FS cache was flushed, for example by unmounting and remounting) to see whether the checksums are still valid.
9 >
10 > You can find it on github: https://github.com/felf/dh It’s a single-file python application, because I couldn’t be bothered with the myriad ways of creating a python package. ;-)
11 >
12 > --
13 > Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
14 > Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
15 >
16 > A horse comes into a bar.
17 > Barkeep: “Hey!”
18 > Horse: “Sure.”
19 >
20 There's also app-crypt/md5deep
21
22 Does a number of hashes, is threaded, has options for piecewise hashing and a matching mode for using the hashes to find duplicates. Also a number of input and output filters for those cases where you don't want to hash everything.
23
24 Also can output a number of formats, but reformatting is generally trivial.
25
26 LMP