From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:39:38
1 Am Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:08:24PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 9:27 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Thoughts. Replace as soon as drive arrives or wait and see?
5 > >>
6 > > So, first of all just about all my hard drives are in a RAID at this
7 > > point, so I have a higher tolerance for issues.
8
9 > Sadly, I don't have RAID here but to be honest, I really need to have it
10 > given the data and my recent luck with hard drives.
11
12 Plus, if you do a Raid 5 or Raid-Z1, you use your capacity more efficiently
13 with just three drives. However, when I was building my NAS 5½ years ago,
14 there was already an article about Raid-5 becoming obsolete due to the ever
15 rising drive capacity. Because if you have a failed drive and need to
16 replace and rebuild, the chances that another drive fails during rebuild
17 rises with the drive capacity.
18
19 > Drives used to get dumped because they were just to small to use anymore.
20 > Nowadays, they seem to break in some fashion long before their usefulness
21 > ends their lives.
22
23 I recently bought a passive mini-pc (zotac zbox) and just for the fun of it
24 installed a 160 GB HDD that maxes out at aronud 40 MiB/s. You do NOT want to
25 run a modern Linux desktop on such a drive. :D
26
27 > I remounted the drives and did a backup.  For anyone running up on this,
28 > just in case one of the files got corrupted, I used a little trick to
29 > see if I can figure out which one may be bad if any.  I took my rsync
30 > commands from my little script and ran them one at a time with --dry-run
31 > added.
32
33 I actually developed a tool for that. It creates and checks md5 checksums
34 recursively and *per directory*. Whenever I copy stuff from somewhere, like
35 a music album, I do an immediate md5 run on that directory. And when I later
36 copy that stuff around, I simply run the tool again on the copy (after the
37 FS cache was flushed, for example by unmounting and remounting) to see
38 whether the checksums are still valid.
39
40 You can find it on github: https://github.com/felf/dh
41 It’s a single-file python application, because I couldn’t be bothered with
42 the myriad ways of creating a python package. ;-)
45 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
46 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
47
48 A horse comes into a bar.
49 Barkeep: “Hey!”
50 Horse: “Sure.”