From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:28:47
1 * Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > First, libcdio had an illegal license change: the "authors" took a lot of the
4 > code from cdrtools and claim that "their" code (e.g. derived from cdda2wav) is
5 > GPLv2-or-any-later. Well, not a single file from cdda2wav has ever been released
6 > under this license.
7
8 Ah, then you as the original author (right ?) to stop them from
9 that copyright infringenment. In the end they, IMHO, have two options:
10
11 a) remove/replace your code
12 b) release libcdio under your terms (CDDL ?)
13
14 If they choose b), what consequences does it have for importing
15 packages ? Is, eg., GPL'ed code allowed to import this lib ?
16
17 If yes, then I don't see a major problem, besides that bundling of
18 that lib isn't allowed anymore (hah, I'd like to see that folks
19 like Rich Felker thing about this ;-P).
20
21 > If you run sound-juicer, then gstreamer (being LGPL) loads and calls libcdio
22 > which is GPL. This is not allowed by the GPL. GPL and LGPL are incompatible.
23
24 ACK. That's one of those points why I thing, libraries should LGPL
25 instead of GPL (I admit, I'm as careful as I should be about that w/
26 some of my own packages yet, but just due lack of time - on request
27 my GPL'ed libs will be moved to LGPL)
28
29 > While the GPL is asymmetric and allows GPL code to call code under any license,
30 > GPLd code is not allowed to be called from non-GPL code.
31
32 Yep, that's the "viral effect". I, personally like this concept,
33 but everybody should decide for his own.
34
35 BUT: please, please no flamewar about license philosophies.
36
37 cu
38 --
40 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
42 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
43 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
44 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
45 http://patches.metux.de/
47 --
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list