From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:06:51
1 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > * Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > > First, libcdio had an illegal license change: the "authors" took a lot of the
6 > > code from cdrtools and claim that "their" code (e.g. derived from cdda2wav) is
7 > > GPLv2-or-any-later. Well, not a single file from cdda2wav has ever been released
8 > > under this license.
9 >
10 > Ah, then you as the original author (right ?) to stop them from
11 > that copyright infringenment. In the end they, IMHO, have two options:
12 >
13 > a) remove/replace your code
14 > b) release libcdio under your terms (CDDL ?)
15
16 I am not the person who did put the code together as "libcdio". This was the
17 FSF. We are talking about a Copyright violation done by the FSF.
20 > > If you run sound-juicer, then gstreamer (being LGPL) loads and calls libcdio
21 > > which is GPL. This is not allowed by the GPL. GPL and LGPL are incompatible.
22 >
23 > ACK. That's one of those points why I thing, libraries should LGPL
24 > instead of GPL (I admit, I'm as careful as I should be about that w/
25 > some of my own packages yet, but just due lack of time - on request
26 > my GPL'ed libs will be moved to LGPL)
27
28 The FSF has no choice to make the code LGPL, converting from GPLv2-only is
29 already more than they are allowed to do.
30
31 > BUT: please, please no flamewar about license philosophies.
32
33 I am not interested in license wars. I get the impression that some people
34 start flamewars because I am relaxed about licenses and do not try to make a
35 religion out of a license.
36
37 Jörg
40 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin