From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE without aRts?
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 08:36:43
1 On Sunday 01 January 2006 04:48, Dimitar Toshev wrote:
2 >
3 > Skype does not require artsd, it uses OSS. This unfortunately means that
4 > you have to stop all software, that is currently accessing the audio device
5 > in order to use it (ALSA cannot do sw mixing, because it is done in
6 > userspace and the drivers, including the oss emulation layer, run in kernel
7 > space).
8 >
9 Thanks for that info. I have stopped aRts from running by disabling the sound
10 system from control center since last night. The strange part is that Skype
11 is working better without aRts. The only thing I have to make sure is that I
12 don't have any sound playing in background. Now, I'll see whether I face any
13 problems with aRts disabled. If it works for 2-3 days without hitch then I am
14 dumping aRts for good.
15
16 btw my other question is still unanswered. Why do we need a sound server at
17 all and if we need one then how does JACK fair compared to aRts?
18
19 Thanks to everyone who replied
20 Regards,
21 Abhay