From: Dimitar Toshev <mo6eeeb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE without aRts?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:23:05
1 On Saturday 31 December 2005 22:49, Ming-Che Lee wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Am Samstag, 31. Dezember 2005 21:27 schrieb Abhay Kedia:
5 > > Also, I like to use JuK as my audio player and use Skype
6 > > extensively. Will disabling arts trouble me? Is it a must to run
7 > > a sound server? Here I would like to mention that I am using an
8 >
9 > Skype requires artsd in order to work properly. I think I read it
10 > somewhere in the installation requirements of Skype. Prior to Skype
11 > I didn't have artsd enabled in KDE and there were no troubles.
12 >
13 > Regards,
14 >
15 > Ming-Che Lee
16 >
17 > --
18 > Registered Linux User #241507 at http://counter.li.org
19 >
20 > GPG KEYID: 0x5EBF1692
21 > Fingerprint: DB76 8D6F 9B7D B123 0FE2 0F18 389C A8BD 5EBF 1692
22
23 Skype does not require artsd, it uses OSS. This unfortunately means that you
24 have to stop all software, that is currently accessing the audio device in
25 order to use it (ALSA cannot do sw mixing, because it is done in userspace
26 and the drivers, including the oss emulation layer, run in kernel space).
27
28 This is why gentoo's ebuild for skype includes a wrapper script that checks
29 for the presence of artsd or esd and uses artsdsp or esddsp to start skype,
30 so that software mixing is not lost (if neither is present skype is started
31 normally). I tried using alsa's wrapper (aoss), but I did not have any
32 success. So if you dislike artsd, you can use esd, but I could not get skype
33 to work with it, meaning that it started normally, but after calling
34 somebody, I could not hear them and they could not hear me.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list