From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:47:53
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > If you have only one CD drive, the CD will play with:
4 > >
5 > >        cdda2wav -e -B -N
6 > >
7 > > Jörg
8 >
9 > On my system here the above command didn't result in any audio being
10 > played, nor do I find any files left on disk. I suspect it's because
11 > of the message:
12 >
13 > cdda2wav: Bad file descriptor. Cannot open sound device '/dev/dsp'.
14 >
15 > Now, I have a Virtualbox VM open running Windows NT where I was
16 > watching a movie earlier. Possibly it still has /dev/dsp locked?
17 >
18 > mark@c2stable ~ $ ls -la /dev/dsp
19 > crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Oct 19 06:23 /dev/dsp
20 > mark@c2stable ~ $
21
22 Well, then it may be impossible to create sound on your system in this state.
26 > The listing below took about 1 minute to generate.
27
28 Well, it did also _read_ the whole disk.
29
30 cdda2wav was able to extract the audio data and would have produced sound in
31 case that the audio devices was accessible.
32
33 If I got the problem correctly, then other software was not able to find the
34 right way to access the drive.
35
36 Jörg
39 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin