From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:47:52
1 On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > If you have only one CD drive, the CD will play with:
6 >> >
7 >> >        cdda2wav -e -B -N
8 >> >
9 >> > Jörg
10 >>
11 >> On my system here the above command didn't result in any audio being
12 >> played, nor do I find any files left on disk. I suspect it's because
13 >> of the message:
14 >>
15 >> cdda2wav: Bad file descriptor. Cannot open sound device '/dev/dsp'.
16 >>
17 >> Now, I have a Virtualbox VM open running Windows NT where I was
18 >> watching a movie earlier. Possibly it still has /dev/dsp locked?
19 >>
20 >>  mark@c2stable ~ $ ls -la /dev/dsp
21 >> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Oct 19 06:23 /dev/dsp
22 >> mark@c2stable ~ $
23 >
24 > Well, then it may be impossible to create sound on your system in this state.
27 But that's only a guess on my part. Unless I shutdown all the VMs and
28 possibly also reboot the system to ensure nothing is left in the way I
29 won't know.
33 >> The listing below took about 1 minute to generate.
34 >
35 > Well, it did also _read_ the whole disk.
36 >
37 > cdda2wav was able to extract the audio data and would have produced sound in
38 > case that the audio devices was accessible.
39 >
40 > If I got the problem correctly, then other software was not able to find the
41 > right way to access the drive.
42 >
43 > Jörg
46 Certainly, I do get that in my case it did read the whole disk but I
47 use cdda2wav to copy CDs all the time so in my case I have no doubt
48 that program works. However cdda2wav continuing to do the copying when
49 it couldn't access the playback device seems like a bit of a waste,
50 but fixing it likely isn't worth the effort.
51
52 It would possibly be valuable for Colleen to run the same command also
53 just to compare.
54
55 - Mark