From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Prevent depclean from removing Python-2.6?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:30:12
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:13 on Tuesday 10 May 2011, Grant Edwards
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > > I think the issue happens because portage does not take eselect
5 > > choices into account when building it's dep graph, it only uses the
6 > > DEPENDS in ebuilds.
7 >
8 > Apparently so. It seems like it ought to pay attention to eselect.
9 > If I've explicitly configured my system to use 2.6 instead of 2.7,
10 > removing 2.6 doesn't seem like a good thing...
11
12 There's one more wrinkle though:
13
14 portage, ebuilds and EAPI are all portable to other systems (funtoo etc)
15 whereas eselect is very gentoo-specific.
16
17 So putting gentooism support into portage would be counter-productive.
18
19 A real solution would require some kind of generic statement in ebuilds that
20 would allow for optional dependencies. I haven't thought this completely
21 through, but maybe something like the following:
22
23 - A new keyword in ebuilds to indicate packages with soft deps
24 - A new file format that lists these deps currently in use
25 - Tools like eselect could update this file as they adjust user preferences
26
27 This way, portage would have additional info available about unusual packages
28 still in use when --depclean runs.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com