From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Prevent depclean from removing Python-2.6?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:09:13
1 On 2011-05-10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:13 on Tuesday 10 May 2011, Grant Edwards
3 > did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> > I think the issue happens because portage does not take eselect
6 >> > choices into account when building it's dep graph, it only uses the
7 >> > DEPENDS in ebuilds.
8 >>
9 >> Apparently so. It seems like it ought to pay attention to eselect.
10 >> If I've explicitly configured my system to use 2.6 instead of 2.7,
11 >> removing 2.6 doesn't seem like a good thing...
12 >
13 > There's one more wrinkle though:
14 >
15 > portage, ebuilds and EAPI are all portable to other systems (funtoo etc)
16 > whereas eselect is very gentoo-specific.
17
18 Ah. I didn't realise that eselect was gentoo-specific.
19
20 > So putting gentooism support into portage would be
21 > counter-productive.
22 >
23 > A real solution would require some kind of generic statement in
24 > ebuilds that would allow for optional dependencies. I haven't thought
25 > this completely through, but maybe something like the following:
26 >
27 > - A new keyword in ebuilds to indicate packages with soft deps
28 > - A new file format that lists these deps currently in use
29 > - Tools like eselect could update this file as they adjust user preferences
30 >
31 > This way, portage would have additional info available about unusual
32 > packages still in use when --depclean runs.
33
34 Perhaps having eselect add currently selected slots to the world file
35 would be sufficient?
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hello... IRON
39 at CURTAIN? Send over a
40 gmail.com SAUSAGE PIZZA! World War
41 III? No thanks!