From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using postfix 3.0.0
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:53:22
1 On Wed, Mar 25 2015, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 22:34:10 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> Then I run for a while, check the logs and issue the appropriate
5 >> postconf commands.
6 >
7 > Yes, exactly.
8 >
9 > You can also manually go through the settings mentioned in the
10 > "Overview" section of COMPATIBILITY_README, to see if anything needs
11 > changing in main.cf/master.cf. That's what I did.
12 >
13 >> Not so clear is when do you turn off backwards compatibility (i.e. set
14 >> the level). Does postfix determine the level right away or should I let
15 >> it run for a few weeks so it sees a lot of mail?
16 >
17 > The documentation is not clear on this, but I don't think there's any
18 > kind of logic behind the compatibility level postfix mentions in its
19 > log - it's just the hard-coded version specifier, the "most recent"
20 > compatibility level.
21 >
22 > You can turn off the safety net once you made sure that postfix is
23 > configured the way you want; that is, once you made sure that no more
24 > backwards-compatible default settings would need to be made permanent.
25 >
26 > For example, relay_domains used to default to $mydestination. With
27 > postfix 3.0.0, it defaults to:
28 > relay_domains = ${{$compatibility_level} < {2} ? {$mydestination} : {}}
29 >
30 > If you rely on the default setting of relay_domains (i.e. you don't set
31 > it explicitly in main.cf) you may need to change it now.
32
33 Thanks.
34
35 It now looks as though my test machine does work; I forgot to restart
36 postfix. So today when I booted it up it does seem to process mail.
37
38 Thanks again,
39 allan