From: Wolfgang Mueller <vehk@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using postfix 3.0.0
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 03:18:10
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 22:34:10 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > Then I run for a while, check the logs and issue the appropriate
3 > postconf commands.
4
5 Yes, exactly.
6
7 You can also manually go through the settings mentioned in the
8 "Overview" section of COMPATIBILITY_README, to see if anything needs
9 changing in main.cf/master.cf. That's what I did.
10
11 > Not so clear is when do you turn off backwards compatibility (i.e. set
12 > the level). Does postfix determine the level right away or should I let
13 > it run for a few weeks so it sees a lot of mail?
14
15 The documentation is not clear on this, but I don't think there's any
16 kind of logic behind the compatibility level postfix mentions in its
17 log - it's just the hard-coded version specifier, the "most recent"
18 compatibility level.
19
20 You can turn off the safety net once you made sure that postfix is
21 configured the way you want; that is, once you made sure that no more
22 backwards-compatible default settings would need to be made permanent.
23
24 For example, relay_domains used to default to $mydestination. With
25 postfix 3.0.0, it defaults to:
26 relay_domains = ${{$compatibility_level} < {2} ? {$mydestination} : {}}
27
28 If you rely on the default setting of relay_domains (i.e. you don't set
29 it explicitly in main.cf) you may need to change it now.
32 Wolfgang Mueller / vehk.de / 0xc543cfce9465f573
33
34 Ed is the standard text editor.