From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The current correct way to start kde 4
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:12:32
1 On Monday 28 December 2009 06:49:14 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Setting DISPLAYMANAGER to kdm in
4 > /etc/conf.d/xmd it will be then. My confusion comes from there being
5 > posts suggesting this method, others setting XSESSION in
6 > /etc/env.d/90xsession, things mentioning /etc/X11/sessions and so on.
7 > I've still got my training wheels on so it can be a bit confusing at times.
8
9 The XSESSION environment variable is to be used when you want a different
10 Window Manager or Display Environment to load as a default. So you would for
11 example set XSESSION=openbox, or fluxbox, or xface, etc. Since you just want
12 KDE and the kdm Display Manager knows where to find your KDE4 Display
13 Environment and load it, setting up the XSESSION variable is not necessary -
14 although it would cause no harm.
15
16 HTH.
17 --