From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Rootwindow Sysmon?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:18:58
1 On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:07:29 -0400, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 05:51:30PM +0200, Penguin Lover
4 > meino.cramer@×××.de squawked:
5 >> on my way to the "best" window manager (at least for my needs ;) )
6 >> I came across a lot of screenshots of themes.
7 >> More than one screenshot shows something which looks like a
8 >> system monitor a la gkrellm but it was painted plain onto
9 >> the background / root window.
10 >
11 > It may help if you point us to the screen shot.
12 >
13 > But quite a few X applications allow drawing directly to the root
14 > window. For example, torsmo and conky (both in portage), supports the
15 > -w switch to specify the window id. You just need to specify the right
16 > one for the root window :)
17
18 Correction, torsmo is gone from portage since at least 3 years ago, conky
19 was born as a fork of torsmo, and it's being actively developed, while
20 torsmo has been discontinue upstream.
23 Jesús Guerrero