From: gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo kixtstart/jumpstart equivalent
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:07:19
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ghislain Bourgeois wrote:
5
6 > At my job, I designed a system we call Pullstart that we use to install
7 Gentoo servers. I'm basically building what I call a "stage-4", which is
8 simply a stage3 updated, with the packages we want added to it and a
9 generic kernel built with genkernel. It is made available through a
10 tarball on a web server and I have a simple script generated by
11 web-based configuration utility to install it on the server and
12 configure it for the machine (partitionning, networking, etc...). The
13 only thing you need to run the script is to have a basic linux system
14 running, which you can get with a livecd or a floppy like tomslinux
15 (sorry, I forgot the exact name...). Of course, I have an NDA and the
16 scripts all belong to the company, so I can't make it available, but you
17 can build yourself something similar.
20 Well, thanks for the tip. But for one, I wasn't really planning to
21 spend *that* much time fussing about it. The focus is something else
22 entirely, and I don't have the time to dedicate to designing my own
23 system. I totally understand the NDA/company proprietary info, etc.,
24 etc., so I appreciate the pointer.
25
26 I've set up Solaris Jumpstart for Solaris installations in the past.
27 And, ironically enough, this project is using gentoo-sparc. Jumpstart
28 is relatively easy to configure, I just didn't know if there might be
29 an equivalent for gentoo. I checked for both JumpStart and KixStart
30 (I've seen KixStart ported to other distros even though it's a RedHat
31 package) by running `emerge search jumpstart` and got bupkus.
32
33 Also, one inherent flaw with your suggestion is the requirement of a
34 livecd. I know you mentioned floppy, but these are SPARC boxen and I
35 doubt I could fit all the drivers/commands/etc. on a floppy, and one
36 doesn't even have a floppy. Thus the necessity for a network boot
37 situation.
38
39 I appreciate the response though.
42 > --