From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Storage expansion options
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:01:07
1 On 14 Dec 2008, at 02:49, Grant wrote:
2
3 > My desktop currently runs one of these:
4 >
5 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
6 >
7 > I'm pretty much out of space and I'm trying figure out the best way to
8 > expand. The factors to consider are cost, capacity, speed, noise, and
9 > heat. ... but $200 for 300GB is pretty expensive
10
11 I don't find your criteria well-defined - fast, cheap (large) &
12 reliable, pick any two.
13
14 If the factors were ONLY cost, capacity, speed, noise, and heat, then
15 I would say throw away your old hard-drive & RAID 0 across cheap 1TB
16 drives, which are c £65 each at the moment.
17
18 In RAID 0, however, the 0 stands for how much data you get to keep in
19 the event of drive failure, and most of us don't want that. I also
20 don't see your old drive as redundant.
21
22 Haven't you considered just mounting an additional drive at /media/
23 video, or /var or /home or wherever?
24
25 I personally don't find hard-drives to be significant contributors to
26 a system's noise. There are too many fans in any of my machines to
27 notice the difference made by an extra disk crunching away.
28 Additionally, in typical PC systems with capacity for only 4 (maybe 6,
29 these days?) ATA drives, I don't find heat to be a problem. I'm sure
30 I've read articles saying how heat is the biggest contributor to drive-
31 failures, but I have two machines in my airing cupboard here [1], each
32 stuffed as full of disks as possible (3 in one, 4 in the other PC) and
33 have never had a failure on any of them. One system is at least 4
34 years old, probably more like 6, the other at least a couple.
35
36 In a later post you say drive throughput may be an issue for you,
37 which I did not really find clear initially. I would personally
38 consider a pair of two of the cheapest new drives I could find
39 (probably 80gig @ £22 each inc VAT or 160gig @ £28) and RAID 0 them.
40 Others may advise if the partition scheme which immediately occurs to
41 me - 3 partitions: swap, /tmp and /mnt/video/my_tmp - is wise. RAID 0
42 will be twice as fast as any single drive, but for me I wouldn't need
43 a large volume in that configuration, as I wouldn't keep anything
44 important on it, nor the root of my system, nor anything that would
45 need restoring in the event of a failure.
46
47 Stroller.
52 [1] US readers: I'm not sure if you use the same expression. In the UK
53 the "airing cupboard" is the small cupboard in which the home's hot
54 water tank sits. I guess you may keep the hot water tank in a large
55 basement, but British homes have less room, so it is confined in a
56 small cupboard which gets very warm indeed. Consequently it is used to
57 dry bath towels after use, and hence the cupboard's name.