From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Layman and eix-sync
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:46:00
1 On Thursday 12 November 2009 04:17:47 Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm using layman to keep KDE 3.5 installed and have a question. I run
5 > eix-sync to sync my tree. From what I see, it appears it also syncs the
6 > layman part as well. Does it? This is what I see:
7 >
8 > [0] "gentoo" /usr/portage/ (cache: metadata-flat)
9 > Reading 100%
10 > [1] "kde-sunset" /usr/local/portage/layman/kde-sunset (cache:
11 > parse|ebuild*#metadata-flat#assign)
12 > Reading 100%
13 >
14 > I just want to make sure I am seeing this correctly.
15
16 No, eix-sync does an emerge --sync and updates the local cache for portage and
17 all overlays trees. To sync the overlays you need this:
18
19 layman -S && eix-sync
20
21 > While I am here, I plan to get rid of all the layman stuff when KDE 4 is
22 > ready enough for me to use. Do I just run layman -d all and unmerge
23 > layman? Does that get the job done?
24
25 Leave layman installed, it's useful. You also need it if you want the sunrise
26 stuff.
27
28 Run KDE4 and 3.5 side by side for a bit till you are happy. They use different
29 directories in ~ so they don't clash:
30
31 kde-3.5 ~/.kde
32 kde-4 ~/.kde4
33
34 then unmerge all of kde-3.5, verify with depclean, then delete the overlay
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com