From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo as a production server - insecure?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:27:41
1 james wrote:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs <at> online.de> writes:
6 >> would you please be so kind and avoid hijacking other threads next time.
9 > Um, you must not have read the response.
10 >
11 > I did specifically address and provide remedy if indeed having gcc
12 > installed on a machine is a security threat.
13 >
14 > Sure I expounded on the whole concept of security, because one
15 > of the most important aspect of any or all security is a measure
16 > of reasonableness and sufficiency. There are many instances, imho,
17 > that overkill for security is applied and often does not work,
18 > such as removing gcc from a system. A good hacker (security interloper)
19 > can patch a system without ever compiling anything on that system....
22 > Your opinion that I hijacked a thread is, well, your opinion, at best.
25 > Ignore what you do not like, or give a more singularly focused response,
26 > if you deem that necessary, but avoid pissing into a fan and telling
27 > the rest of us how cool and relevant you are.
28 >
29 > After all, you did not even respond with any relevance to what the poster
30 > was look for, did you ? (your just another pompous a.....)....
33 > hth,
34 > James
40 Actually Dirk wasn't talking to you at all, he was talking to the person
41 that did indeed hijack the thread (titled "Mailing Lists") by replying
42 to it with an unrelated email (titled "Gentoo as a production server -
43 insecure?"). This was a valid point, as it was thread hijacking and it
44 does make threads very difficult to manage.
45
46 It does not however make it so difficult to manage that you cannot see
47 Dirk replied to the original hijacking email, and not to you.
48
49 Now lets all kiss and make up :)
50
51 Matt