From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pdf viewer
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 20:42:11
1 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 01:21:19PM +0100, lee wrote
4 >> "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
5 >>
6 >> > Assuming you've already got "Content Type" "PDF file" in the list,
7 >> > click on the icon beside "emacsclient" in the "Action" column. This
8 >> > opens a dropdown menu. Click on "Use other..." and navigate to
9 >> > /usr/bin/mupdf in the file menu.
10 >>
11 >> That's what I thought and tried. I don't want to use it as default
12 >> action, though, because I sometimes save PDFs.
13 >
14 > Two options...
15 >
16 > 1) In the "Action" column you can select "Always ask", and it'll always
17 > ask what you want to do. I find that to be a pain.
18
19 What I want is to have llpp as the default program to show PDFs and be
20 asked what I want to do, i. e. either shave or display it with the
21 default program. Currently, I'm being asked what I want to do, and if I
22 don't want to save the PDF but display it, I have to pick the program
23 with which to display it.
24
25 > 2) mupdf does not render straight from memory. First it saves the pdf
26 > file to /tmp/ and renders it from there. I believe the linux default is
27 > to always clean up /tmp/ at every reboot (but not during restore from
28 > hibernation). While mupdf doesn't have a "Save as" option, you can
29 > copy/move the file from /tmp/ manually, giving you the same effect as a
30 > "Save as".
31
32 Yes, I noticed that llpp (or mupdf) is buggy in that it doesn't clean up
33 after itself. That's enough reason for me to want something better.
34
35 It's really bad behaviour to leave temporary files around and can even
36 be a privacy issue. It's a hazard for the whole system because the /tmp
37 partition might fill up, and when it's not a separate partition, the
38 system may go down because the disk is full, or you'll see other issues
39 because the /tmp partition is full.
40
41 Having to try to figure out which file name might have been used to be
42 able to switch to the shell to copy that file to where I want it would
43 be a pita.
47 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
48 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.