From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pdf viewer
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:44:24
1 On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 01:21:19PM +0100, lee wrote
2 > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > > Assuming you've already got "Content Type" "PDF file" in the list,
5 > > click on the icon beside "emacsclient" in the "Action" column. This
6 > > opens a dropdown menu. Click on "Use other..." and navigate to
7 > > /usr/bin/mupdf in the file menu.
8 >
9 > That's what I thought and tried. I don't want to use it as default
10 > action, though, because I sometimes save PDFs.
11
12 Two options...
13
14 1) In the "Action" column you can select "Always ask", and it'll always
15 ask what you want to do. I find that to be a pain.
16
17 2) mupdf does not render straight from memory. First it saves the pdf
18 file to /tmp/ and renders it from there. I believe the linux default is
19 to always clean up /tmp/ at every reboot (but not during restore from
20 hibernation). While mupdf doesn't have a "Save as" option, you can
21 copy/move the file from /tmp/ manually, giving you the same effect as a
22 "Save as".
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications