From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] identical drives, different free space!
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 11:39:28
1 On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:31:17 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > >> Well, it turns out I have the distfiles mounted with --bind to my
4 > >> ftp/pub directory. And looking in the rsync man page:
5 > >
6 > >Why not set $DISTDIR to the true location of distfiles instead of using
7 > >bind mounts?
8 >
9 > Because binding the directory to /home/ftp/pub makes the distfiles
10 > available to the rest of one's network via anonymous ftp. I do the
11 > same thing here, without the "pub" subdirectory, and exclude /home/ftp/
12 > from my backups.
13
14 So the distfiles are actually in /usr/portage/distfiles?
15
16 I share my distfiles but I don't use FTP as that means storing copies of
17 the same file on each computer. Instead, I use NFS. /mnt/portage is
18 shared across all machines on the network and DISTDIR is set
19 to /mnt/portage/distfiles in each make.conf.
20
21 Sharing /mnt/portage like this means I can also share my overlay across
22 the network at /mnt/portage/local.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Top Oxymorons Number 18: Taped live