From: Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:24:37
1 On 28-Oct-07, at 6:15 PM, Dan Farrell wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:59:05 -0400
4 > Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 >> It sounds like what you really want to get is a Linksys WRT54GL[1]
7 >> that you can then flash with something like dd-wrt[2] or OpenWRT[3].
8 >>
9 >> Aaron
10 >
11 > Sure, you could do that, but then you have less flexibility later. I
12 > love being able to add network interfaces and such to my router. I
13 > dont' have to mess with flashing or such, and I can run gentoo on it
14 > and upgrade til my little heart's content.
15
16 Oh, I totally agree on the flexibility (although those little things
17 are pretty darn flexible all things considered). The biggest win for
18 me was the incredible simplicity with setting them up. It's pretty
19 much the same as the stock firmware but with a ton more options and
20 capabilities.
21
22 The chip's a 200Mhz MIPS processor running it, so I suppose in theory
23 you could cross compile something Gentoo for it if you wanted.
24
25 > Most people go for this option, but there's definitely something good
26 > to be said about the flexibility (and power!) of using a home-built
27 > router from a second hand desktop.
28
29 My biggest stumbling block for this idea was that even though I have
30 a decent understanding of all the software pieces that would go into
31 it, I don't have any experience setting it all up, let alone securing
32 it, so there'd be a very steep learning curve for me.
33
34 I've got my second GL set up as a Wireless repeater which is pretty
35 complex behaviour for the few screen options I had to set up.
36
37 It's basically a power vs simplicity tradeoff, but if you're just
38 getting into setting up wireless I'm guessing simplicity is the way
39 to go ;).
40
41 Aaron
42 --