From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about optimal mplayer settings
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 01:39:55
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 07:05:14PM -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >> Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >>> 1) In the past couple of days I finally figured out what I was doing
5 >>> wrong with hardware acceleration (causing lack thereof) with an onboard
6 >>> Intel GPU in my HTPC machine. I've applied the same fix to my desktop.
7 >>> mplayer now has 5 video output modes that actually show a picture...
8 >>>
9 >>> xv X11/Xv
10 >>> gl_nosw OpenGL no software rendering
11 >>> x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
12 >>> gl OpenGL
13 >>> gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
14 >>>
15 >>> Which one has the best playback ability? Is there a test program or a
16 >>> "torture test" video file I can use for testing?
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>> 2) When I start up mplayer, the diagnostics include...
20 >>> "MMX2 supported but disabled"
21 >>>
22 >>> There is no "mmx2" in the USE flags or in /proc/cpuinfo
23 >>>
24 >>> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
25 >>> cpu family : 6
26 >>> model : 15
27 >>> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
28 >>> stepping : 13
29 >>> ....................
30 >>> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
31 >>> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
32 >>> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
33 >>> est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
34 >>>
35 >>> ...and I have "-march=native" in my CFLAGS. Any explanations?
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >> This may help, may not. When I was playing with this a year or so ago,
39 >> I found a HD test video on the internet somewhere. I'm pretty sure it
40 >> was 1080p. I set smplayer to play and repeat the video and then I
41 >> watched the CPU and temps on the video card. I would try each setting
42 >> and see how much CPU load there was and watched the temps on the video
43 >> card. I figure if the card temps are warmer, it is giving the card a
44 >> work out instead of my CPU.
45 >>
46 >> I ended up using "gl (fast)" for mine but this may not work at all for
47 >> your system. This may give you a way to test the settings and sort of
48 >> know if the right hardware is doing its job or not.
49 >>
50 >> Here is two links if you want to try my weird way of doing this:
51 >>
52 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
53 >>
54 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Innx3puNI
55 >>
56 >> I use downloadhelper to grab those then play them locally. Both of
57 >> those are available in 1080p tho. Should warm up something. ;-)
58 >>
59 >> Dale
60 > Rather than downloadhelper and a web browser, try:
61 >
62 > mingdao@workstation ~/test $ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
63 > [youtube] Setting language
64 > [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video webpage
65 > [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video info webpage
66 > [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Extracting video information
67 > [download] Destination: XITHbsUUlYI.mp4
68 > [download] 30.5% of 107.04M at 1.43M/s ETA 00:52
69
70 Some videos are available in different resolutions. Some have as many
71 as 6 or 8 different ones. With downloadhelper, you can pick which one
72 you want. I'm not sure if youtube-dl does or not. Also, I download
73 videos from lots of sites. I don't actually use youtube a lot.
74
75 Good idea for folks that use youtube a lot tho.
76
77 Dale
78
82 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!