From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about optimal mplayer settings
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 01:15:17
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 07:05:14PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > 1) In the past couple of days I finally figured out what I was doing
4 > > wrong with hardware acceleration (causing lack thereof) with an onboard
5 > > Intel GPU in my HTPC machine. I've applied the same fix to my desktop.
6 > > mplayer now has 5 video output modes that actually show a picture...
7 > >
8 > > xv X11/Xv
9 > > gl_nosw OpenGL no software rendering
10 > > x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
11 > > gl OpenGL
12 > > gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
13 > >
14 > > Which one has the best playback ability? Is there a test program or a
15 > > "torture test" video file I can use for testing?
18 > > 2) When I start up mplayer, the diagnostics include...
19 > > "MMX2 supported but disabled"
20 > >
21 > > There is no "mmx2" in the USE flags or in /proc/cpuinfo
22 > >
23 > > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
24 > > cpu family : 6
25 > > model : 15
26 > > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
27 > > stepping : 13
28 > > ....................
29 > > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
30 > > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
31 > > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
32 > > est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
33 > >
34 > > ...and I have "-march=native" in my CFLAGS. Any explanations?
38 > This may help, may not. When I was playing with this a year or so ago,
39 > I found a HD test video on the internet somewhere. I'm pretty sure it
40 > was 1080p. I set smplayer to play and repeat the video and then I
41 > watched the CPU and temps on the video card. I would try each setting
42 > and see how much CPU load there was and watched the temps on the video
43 > card. I figure if the card temps are warmer, it is giving the card a
44 > work out instead of my CPU.
45 >
46 > I ended up using "gl (fast)" for mine but this may not work at all for
47 > your system. This may give you a way to test the settings and sort of
48 > know if the right hardware is doing its job or not.
49 >
50 > Here is two links if you want to try my weird way of doing this:
51 >
52 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
53 >
54 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Innx3puNI
55 >
56 > I use downloadhelper to grab those then play them locally. Both of
57 > those are available in 1080p tho. Should warm up something. ;-)
58 >
59 > Dale
60
61 Rather than downloadhelper and a web browser, try:
62
63 mingdao@workstation ~/test $ youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
64 [youtube] Setting language
65 [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video webpage
66 [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Downloading video info webpage
67 [youtube] XITHbsUUlYI: Extracting video information
68 [download] Destination: XITHbsUUlYI.mp4
69 [download] 30.5% of 107.04M at 1.43M/s ETA 00:52
70 --
71 Happy Penguin Computers >')
72 126 Fenco Drive ( \
73 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^