From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about optimal mplayer settings
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 01:06:48
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > 1) In the past couple of days I finally figured out what I was doing
3 > wrong with hardware acceleration (causing lack thereof) with an onboard
4 > Intel GPU in my HTPC machine. I've applied the same fix to my desktop.
5 > mplayer now has 5 video output modes that actually show a picture...
6 >
7 > xv X11/Xv
8 > gl_nosw OpenGL no software rendering
9 > x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
10 > gl OpenGL
11 > gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
12 >
13 > Which one has the best playback ability? Is there a test program or a
14 > "torture test" video file I can use for testing?
17 > 2) When I start up mplayer, the diagnostics include...
18 > "MMX2 supported but disabled"
19 >
20 > There is no "mmx2" in the USE flags or in /proc/cpuinfo
21 >
22 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
23 > cpu family : 6
24 > model : 15
25 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
26 > stepping : 13
27 > ....................
28 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
29 > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
30 > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
31 > est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
32 >
33 > ...and I have "-march=native" in my CFLAGS. Any explanations?
37 This may help, may not. When I was playing with this a year or so ago,
38 I found a HD test video on the internet somewhere. I'm pretty sure it
39 was 1080p. I set smplayer to play and repeat the video and then I
40 watched the CPU and temps on the video card. I would try each setting
41 and see how much CPU load there was and watched the temps on the video
42 card. I figure if the card temps are warmer, it is giving the card a
43 work out instead of my CPU.
44
45 I ended up using "gl (fast)" for mine but this may not work at all for
46 your system. This may give you a way to test the settings and sort of
47 know if the right hardware is doing its job or not.
48
49 Here is two links if you want to try my weird way of doing this:
50
51 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITHbsUUlYI
52
53 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Innx3puNI
54
55 I use downloadhelper to grab those then play them locally. Both of
56 those are available in 1080p tho. Should warm up something. ;-)
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!