From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OSS4
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 14:18:22
1 On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 3:07 PM Alexandru N. Barloiu <axl@××××.ro> wrote:
2 >
3 > OSS4 is a set of proprietary patches. You would need support in kernel,
4
5 That's the problem...
6
7 > and support at an application level to use it. Not sure if USE=oss will
8 > work with OSS4, but one thing I know for sure is that you would need to
9 > get the patches from 4front technologies. And given that they keep
10 > moving the license...
11 I was under the impression that it is open source (contrary to version
12 3)? Wrong?
13
14 >why would you?
15
16 desperation? ALSA is 22 years old, and they couldn't find the time to
17 write documentation. It will not happen. When it works, it works. It
18 works for me re hearing sound, but no joy with my recently bought
19 micro. Maybe it's something as trivial as a faulty cable, but the
20 current plague doesn't make it easier to get a replacement to try...
21
22 Jorge