From: Johannes Rosenberger <gentoo@×××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: package.provided?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 22:00:19
1 On 14.02.2017 21:22, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Johannes Rosenberger <gentoo@×××××.eu> writes:
3 >
4 >>> Can anyone offer suggestions about this... is it even the right way to
5 >>> proceed?
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >> Hello!
9 >>
10 >> I have portage-2.3.3 installed and in my portage manpage it is mentioned:
11 >>
12 >> The file shall reside in etc/(make.profile|portage/(make.)?profile) and
13 >> the syntax is
15 > Thanks for that. I'm not at all sure what that line means.
16 >
17 > something like /etc/ (then either make a directory named `profile' or
18 > one named `portage' if necessary) / (then make `profile' if
19 > necessary.)
20
21 That line is a regular expression (like in grep, sed, awk, vim,…):
22 Parentheses always group something into an atom and pipes mark an
23 alternative. '?' means that the preceding atom occurs zero or one time.
24 So the expression means 'etc/' (I missed out the preceding slash),
25 followed by alternatively 'make.profile' or 'portage/(make.)?profile'.
26 The latter means 'portage/profile' with an optional 'make.' in between.
27
28 As you (hopefully) see, the expression resolves to the three
29 alternatives mentioned in the man page.
32 > So, /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
33 >
34 > I followed a newish dictum of using the package part as a directory
35 > name. So /etc/portage/profle/package.provided/FnameAndContentHere
36 > It worked... thanks again.
39 I find the package.*-dirs very nice, too. Unfortunately, the tools like
40 emerge, flaggie etc. seem to not always use the same file to write to,
41 so the files get messed up over time.
45 > It worked.. still not getting everything installed but that
46 > part worked...
47
48 Well, that's not too astonishing… ;-)
49 Especially if you do anything uncommon: I'm trying to build a
50 musl-clang-4.0.0_rc1 system at the time, currently. And it took me some
51 days to hack out how to let clang compile itself with incompatible
52 symbols produced by gcc and clang…
53
54 > Something else about this entry in `man portage':
55 >
56 > [...]
57 > SYNOPSIS
58 > /etc/portage/make.profile/ or /etc/make.profile/
59 > site-specific overrides go in /etc/portage/profile/
60 > deprecated
62 >
63 > So is the plan to do away with package.provided or just relocate it?
64
65 No. "deprecated" is one of the files that reside in the profile, just
66 like "make.profile". It marks a profile as deprecated and contains the
67 successing profile and optionally upgrading instructions.