From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: package.provided?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:23:13
1 Johannes Rosenberger <gentoo@×××××.eu> writes:
2
3 >> Can anyone offer suggestions about this... is it even the right way to
4 >> proceed?
8 > Hello!
9 >
10 > I have portage-2.3.3 installed and in my portage manpage it is mentioned:
11 >
12 > The file shall reside in etc/(make.profile|portage/(make.)?profile) and
13 > the syntax is
15
16 Thanks for that. I'm not at all sure what that line means.
17
18 something like /etc/ (then either make a directory named `profile' or
19 one named `portage' if necessary) / (then make `profile' if
20 necessary.)
21
22 So, /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
23
24 I followed a newish dictum of using the package part as a directory
25 name. So /etc/portage/profle/package.provided/FnameAndContentHere
26 It worked... thanks again.
27
28 It worked.. still not getting everything installed but that
29 part worked...
30
31 Something else about this entry in `man portage':
32
33 [...]
34 SYNOPSIS
35 /etc/portage/make.profile/ or /etc/make.profile/
36 site-specific overrides go in /etc/portage/profile/
37 deprecated
38 [...]
39
40 So is the plan to do away with package.provided or just relocate it?