From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:20:49
1 On 2013-12-10, Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:29:46 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> My routine more-or-less weekly update suddenly decided that it needed to
5 >> install 3 versions of Ruby along with ~50 other ruby-related packages.
6 >> This caused a bit of a problem, since those versions of Ruby can't
7 >> coexist: (something to do with tk and threads).
8 >
9 > There should not be a problem installing these versions at the same time,
10 > although perhaps with a specific combination of USE flags there might be
11 > issues.
12
13 AFAICT, if you have a global "tk" USE flag, you can not have 1.8
14 installed at the same time as 1.9 or 2.0.
15
16 > Because ruby18 and ruby19 are specified in the default RUBY_TARGETS as
17 > defined in the profile. And due to the way the dependencies are specified
18 > in both webkit and thin-provisioning-tools it will additionally try to
19 > pull in ruby20 first. Hence: three versions.
20
21 I understand that portage defaults to installing multiple versions (of
22 Ruby, Python, and probably other stuff). What I don't understand it
23 _why_. If none of the ebuilds specify q version, then they
24 presumably will work with any availble version -- so why not just
25 install one version?
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I wonder if I should
29 at put myself in ESCROW!!
30 gmail.com