From: Bogo Mipps <bogo-mipps@××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version [SOLVED - SORT OF][New Thread]
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:20:01
1 On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:20, Glenn Enright wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:27, Bogo Mipps wrote:
3 > > * getfilevar <VARIABLE> <CONFIGFILE>
4 > > * Could not find a usable .config in the kernel source directory.
5 > > * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a configured set of Linux
6 > > sources.
7 > > * If you are using KBUILD_OUTPUT, please set the environment var so that
8 > > * it points to the necessary object directory so that it might find
9 > > .config.
10 > >
11 > > Why would the .config that's in the directory not be usable? I just did
12 > > the make oldconfig && make as you suggested - which ran without errors
13 > > ...
14 >
15 > Bah! try
16 > cd /usr/src/linux
17 > make menuconfig
18 > exit out of that and save in the process. Try the emerge again. Stupid
19 > software ;)
20
21 No, still the same error. However I thought I'd try the following:
22
23 export KBUILD_OUTPUT=/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10
24
25 - and then try the emerge svgalib again. This time it emerged no problem.
26
27 Not very satisfactory, other than achieving the emerge. Why/how am I using
28 KBUILD_OUTPUT? (see above) Mystery to me. Now I guess I get this every time
29 an ebuild uses /usr/portage/eclass/linux-info.class - and it looks from
30 bugzilla that more and more are moving over to it.
31
32 And why only me? Only clue I have is from gentoo forum where someone found a
33 miscompiled coreutils [/bin/echo] was producing same error as I got above. He
34 worked through the bash file and found that was the problem. I recompiled
35 coreutils in case (I'd had a bad memory stick earlier this year) but that
36 didn't help. Maybe eventually when everything on my box is
37 upgraded/recompiled I'll get back to "normal".
38
39 Thanks.
40
41 Bogo
44 Sent via KMail 1.8.1, & o/s Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list