From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Flashing hardware via WINE ?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:32:21
1 Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:38:56 +0100
2 schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
3
4 > On 03/19 10:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:09:51 +0100, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > I have a smart NiMH-charger with serial port (normally used to
8 > > > dump chargeing curves to the PC).
9 > > > The chargers firmware can bei flashed with a flashtool provided
10 > > > by the vendor. The communication is via serial port. I have
11 > > > a PCI=>serial.ports-card installed in my PC.
12 > > >
13 > > > The command
14 > > >
15 > > > file <flashing tool>
16 > > >
17 > > > results in this information
18 > > >
19 > > > PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
20 > > >
21 > > > . As Linux user by heart I have no Windows.
22 > >
23 > > Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if flashing from
24 > > Linux is possible?
27 > > --
28 > > Neil Bothwick
29 > >
30 > > I am MODERATOR of BORG. Follow the rules or be assimilated.
31 >
32 > Hi Neil,
33 >
34 > yes...no chance.
35 > Linux is insecure...you know.
36 > It makes it possible to spy the firmware and decrypt it on
37 > the way to the charger.
38 >
39 > Windows is much more secyre.
40 >
41 > Earth is flat and there was no landing on the moon.
42 >
43 > I believe in Santa Claus.
44
45 And then there is Wireshark in Windows, with libpcap for USB... It can
46 easily decode and record all USB frames. I successfully used it some
47 time ago to debug a custom made USB board and found bugs in the
48 firmware, which I had access to that way. In the end, there was a bug
49 in the interrupt handler: a race condition overwriting the USB
50 communication buffer too early and thus sending back wrong data in the
51 USB HID frames back to the PC (part old data, part new data). The bug
52 was uncovered by our implementation using a highly optimized threaded
53 implementation to use the maximum bandwidth the device could provide.
54 It wasn't possible to convince the firmware programmer about the bug
55 (which was really expensive for our customer) and the project was
56 eventually stopped. Strangely, they later provided a firmware without
57 this failing behavior, much later. Project still paused. But the
58 preliminary implementation now runs and show very high time resolution
59 of measurement data (it's an electrochemical spectrometer, just if
60 you're curious).
61
62 Just that in Linux tools are available more easily doesn't mean that
63 Windows is more "secure". ;-)
64
65 Choose your partners wisely.
68 Regards,